The town supervisor’s proposed price range would change the automobile tax price and enhance library hours amongst different funding priorities.
FALLS CHURCH, VA — The actual property tax price would stay the identical within the proposed Metropolis of Falls Church price range, however property house owners’ tax payments might nonetheless go up if their evaluation values elevated.
Metropolis Supervisor Wyatt Shields offered the price range proposal at Monday’s Metropolis Council assembly. The fiscal yr basic fund proposal is $118.36 million, which might be a 4.9 % enhance over the present yr’s adopted price range.
“The Metropolis is in a interval of progress which presents each new revenues for the Metropolis in addition to new budgetary wants,” Shields wrote within the price range introduction. “This proposed price range displays the labor of Metropolis workers to fulfill the alternatives afforded by that progress in addition to its new challenges.”
The proposal requires the actual property tax price to remain at $1.23 per $100 of assessed worth. The typical home-owner’s actual property tax invoice would enhance $364, or 3.4 %, as a result of impression of market appreciation on property values.
The proposed property tax price on automobiles would enhance from $4.30 per $100 in assessed worth to $4.80 per $100 of assessed worth. Within the final adopted price range, the speed had been decreased from $5 per $100 of assessed worth to $4.30 per $100 to account for rising used automobile values associated to provide chain points. Even with the upper price, Shields mentioned automobile house owners will see a median 8.8 % lower in property tax as automobile values lower, recovering from the pandemic’s provide chain points.
Shields can also be proposing a 3 % enhance in sanitary sewer charges from $10.17 to $10.48 per 1,000 gallons to account for compensation will increase and inflation. The typical family’s invoice would enhance by about $16 per yr.
As well as, the stormwater price is proposed to extend 4 % from $19.28 to $20.05 per 200 sq. toes of impervious space. That might enhance the common home-owner’s invoice $11 per yr.
The proposed metropolis funding for Falls Church Metropolis Public Faculties is $49,208,920 primarily based on revised income projections. The Falls Church Metropolis Faculty Board had beforehand requested $48,690,407 in native funding primarily based on decrease December 2022 income projections. Together with state and federal revenues, the full FCCPS working price range is proposed to be $61,442,261. The FCCPS marketed price range contains boosts to workers pay and advantages to maintain the varsity district aggressive within the job market.
The town’s price range additionally addresses workers pay with a proposed 3 % value of residing adjustment, step enhance for uniformed cops and 6 % benefit enhance for different staff.
Different key funding gadgets within the price range embody:
- A further crimson gentle digital camera and velocity digital camera within the 900 block of W. Broad Road college zone with funding for an extra part-time officer to evaluation citations.
- $40,000 so as to add two extra hours on weekends at Mary Riley Kinds Public Library; one other $60,000 requested by the library board for 2 extra weekends hours might be funded with contingency funds.
- Growing the varsity useful resource officer unit from one to 2 full-time officers in faculties.
- Funding a building inspector to make sure public enhancements corresponding to stormwater and sanitary sewer by personal builders are monitored and meet metropolis necessities; funding by means of proposed enhance to Proper of Manner Allow price.
- Funding a part-time fireplace inspector place along with one full-time inspector to account for progress in business and residence buildings.
- IT core infrastructure renewal and substitute within the Capital Enchancment Program.
- $3.25 million over six years within the Capital Enchancment Program for the fireplace station enhancements, public constructing safety, and police amenities and tools investments.
- $93 million over six years within the Capital Enchancment Program for transportation tasks and Metro funding.
- $200,000 for neighborhood site visitors calming.
- $75,000 per yr for downtown beautification and enhancements, funding by means of 1 % of the 6 % transient occupancy tax.
- $120,000 for the Reasonably priced Housing Fund to develop the rental subsidy program to 4 households with 30 % and 40 % of the realm median revenue.
- Funding for six main flood mitigation tasks and inexperienced infrastructure tasks within the Capital Enchancment Program.
- $600,000 in federal grant funds for six electrical and 6 hybrid automobiles and ten chargers for public works and $200,000 of native funds for automobiles and heavy tools substitute with extra fuel-efficient automobiles within the Capital Enchancment Program.
- $2.4 million over the six-year Capital Enchancment Program to cut back sewer backflow in basements or streams throughout floods.
View the complete price range proposal on the town’s web site. Varied city halls, Metropolis Council work classes and public hearings might be held this spring. The general public listening to for the price range, tax charges and Capital Enchancment Program is scheduled for April 24. Finances adoption is ready for Could 8.